08 January 2009

No silence....

I found this on Dogster and found it really disturbing. Then I searched and found the original and was even sadder.

Adaptation of the original:
When they came for the pit bulls, I remained silent; Surely these dogs deserved death! When they banned the rottweilers, I remained silent; Who needs these dogs? When they came for the guardian breeds, I did not speak out; My dog was not one of these. When they came for the large dogs, I remained silent; My dog was small. When they came for all dogs, there was no one left to fight with me. Matrix adapted from Niemöller

The original and a bit of info concerning the author from http://aworldofexperience.blogspot.com/2006/10/martin-niemoller-early-supporter-of.html
An early supporter of Hitler, by 1934 Niemöller had come to oppose the Nazis, and it was largely his high connections to influential and wealthy businessmen that saved him until 1937, after which he was imprisoned, eventually at Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps. He survived to be a leading voice of penance and reconciliation for the German people after World War II. His poem is well-known, frequently quoted, and is a popular model for describing the phenomenon of social chaos, as it often begins with specific and targeted fear and hatred which soon escalates out of control.


When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out. posted by Jim Burton at 6:15 AM

Speak out and fight for what you believe in. For what is in your heart. Never lose hope that we as humans can make a difference. Don't ever assume that someone else will fix the problem. Then it becomes too late...

1 comment:

  1. First, welcome to Blogger and thanks for becoming a follower. We've returned the courtesy.
    Second, you're absolutely right. Every single person counts when it comes to taking action!

    ReplyDelete