13 January 2010

Lessons We Can Learn From Dogs

I started classes yesterday at the local Community College I have been attending since the Fall of 2008. When I finish with my studies, I will become a Middle School teacher. I am leaning towards teaching History and Geography.
Since my mindset is on school, studying, and my newest Professors/ Teachers right now, this article caught my eye early this AM while I was perusing one of the many dog-related e-mail groups I lurk upon. It is true; our dogs do teach us wonderful things. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could enjoy life the way that our 4-legged friends do?

Bob Schieffer Says Humans Would Be Better Off If We Let Dogs Be Our Teachers
(CBS) I have no idea where this came from or who wrote it - if I did I'd give them credit - but a friend who knows I love dogs e-mailed the following, which I pass along today only because it seems a nice thing to share at the beginning of a new year.

It's a list of what we would learn if dogs were our teachers. Such as:

Always run to greet loved ones when they come home.

Never pass the opportunity to go for a joy ride.

Recognize the ecstasy of fresh air and wind in your face.

Take naps. (I do that!)

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp and play daily.

Thrive on attention (I do that) and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, lie on your back in the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and find the shade.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Enjoy long walks.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want is buried, dig deep until you find it.

And, when someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

We'd be better off, better people . . . if we acted more like dogs.


So have a great day. Don't forget to be filled with joy. You just might create a chain reaction of joyful body wags. Wouldn't that be something to smile about?

Karen and the Bentman

3 comments:

  1. The facts that this caught her attention and that she decided to share it are very good indicators that your moma will be a great middle school teacher. This is good advice for ALL of us - and especially for those pesky middle schoolers. It'll help them understand their own behaviors.

    Thanks for sharing - and we hope it is a wonderfully successful year.
    Love
    Jake and Fergi xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooo good for your mommy. Teachers have a very important job so it's good that dogs can give her some good ideas on how to be a good teacher. Best wishes to her in her studies!
    Smooches,
    BabyRD and Hootie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've always been saying the pinkies should listen to US!!

    Happy Birthday Bentmeister! You are our favourite too!!

    ReplyDelete