15 February 2010

Merle's Door

While searching for the Founding Brothers book I need for class this semester, I happened upon Merle's Door (written by Ted Kerasote) at the 1/2 price book store in Pearland. Various listers on one of the Airedale e-mail groups I lurk upon mentioned what a fascinating read it was. This is true. I've had a really hard time not just sitting down to read it all in one fell swoop. I'm trying to make it last longer and I also need to read other books that are pertinent to my school studies. I do know that this book will probably end with Merle leaving this realm and going on to his next adventure. This it what happens to all of us and the ones we love. But that's ok because Merle and his human are teaching me to look at my relationship with animals a bit differently. Through the science/ biology excerpts that the author relates to throughout the book about various species of animals, I'm becoming fascinated with data and statistics that normally would bore me to tears. The author makes it interesting and doesn't bore with extra details that the average person would find tedious or hard to understand.
Finding my awareness expanding with my 4-legged pack, I am paying more attention to the special body language that my dogs use with me and I with them. Anyway, if you haven't read Merle's Door yet, get a copy, read it and tell me what you think. I should be finished with my copy next week. I'm sure I'll read it again one day- definitely a keeper for the bookshelf. It makes me smile and think in a whole different direction. And don't forget to stop what you're doing, take a deep breath, and feel the joy of the moment for every minute of the day is a blessing.

Have a great day,
Karen Raye with
Bentley Beargrass

1 comment:

  1. Gosh I wish I were more of a reader.Sounds like a good book.My only excuse for not reading more books is I forget what I've read when I put a book down. UGH!! Maybe that's why blogs are so great for me.
    Blessings to YOU! Cassie

    Mom had to say that. SHe also says we take up so much of her time...which is the right way to be! Hope you had a happy Valentine's Day Bentley!! (You too Karen).
    Smooches from pooches,
    BabyRD & Hootie

    ReplyDelete